Monday, August 13, 2007

Great Horned Owl Serenade

This past weekend I went camping with some friends. To some, the thought of sleeping outside in the woods, in the dark, with nothing but a tent and sleeping bag to serve as a barrier between you and night creatures can be absolutely terrifying. I, on the other hand, absolutely love the simpleness of solely relying on a campfire and a flashlight. I had a chance to quiet the clamor in my mind for a few days and listen to what messages mother nature would deliver.

The first night, the temps got down in the low 40's. After late night tales of black bears and creatures licking the outside of tents, I tried to no avail to get to sleep. My body was tired but my mind was stimulated. I wasn't scared of the dark veil that had shrouded the forest, my senses were alert and listening to all of the night creatures that were wide awake and communicating.

After the loud din of cicadas died down around 2am, I had the rare opportunity to be serenaded by great horned owls. I didn't know what kind they were until I looked them up today ~ you can listen to their calls on text links.

The owl has strong symbolism as a Native American Totem. I wasn't surprised to read about the symbolism of the Great Horned Owl, because the message that they delivered couldn't be more perfect for me and where I am in my life's journey.

The Great Horned owl is known to have clairaudience ~ the power or faculty of hearing something not present to the ear but regarded as having objective reality. They also symbolize: insight into the Shadow Self ~ timing ~ protection of the unseen ~ sister to the red tailed hawk ~ able to hear what is not spoken ~ harbinger of new cycles. Owls have excellent vision in the dark and this uncanny vision has earned the owl the reputation of being able to pierce beyond the veil that separates the physical world from the spirit world. Since they filter out light from the darkness, they remind us that both exist at the same time. The owl totem gives us greater insight into life lessons and experiences.

It is believed that the Great Horned Owl is a messenger heralding new cycles and change. They alert us that change and growth opportunities are on the way, encouraging us to step out into the light of a new day. The owls tufted feathers resembling ears make them good listeners. Music is deeply stirring to the horned owl soul and can often elicit healing experiences.


I could go on and on about how the owl serenade impacted me ~ more will be revealed in time.
For now, I feel incredibly blessed to have spent time in their presence for two nights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For so it must be...

Anonymous said...

Sweet owlets. They have always been a powerful symbol for me. I'm so glad they visited you and gave you some hope and peace.