Friday, November 9, 2007

HUGS

I saw this a while ago, Hug Someone Campaign. I was deeply moved by the effect it had on me ~ mostly because I am not a super huggy person by nature. From a very tender age, I've had personal space and intimacy issues. In the brain of a two year old, I learned very early on that when you hug on your big brother then they get killed by a horse. What kind of sense does that make now? It's completely ludicrous, I know, but survival skills are tough ~ they get emblazoned in our minds ~ our autopilot accepts them and they are very hard to purge!

So ~ after many hours of therapy, long talks with God and oceans of tears, I finally came to grips with the truth that hugging someone you love won't cause them to drop dead. TRUE STORY. OK ~ so I've given myself a reality check, but that still didn't make me instantly affectionate with others ~ it's a slow process. I've thought about this a lot lately mostly, because when I am in pain and struggling I push people away and pull back ~ I see the autopilot kicking in again. Survival ~ distance ~ set apart ~ detach ~ Most the time I feel that if I do let anyone in, allow them to comfort me or offer support, I just might melt into a puddle of tears.

OK ~ so why I can't I let myself fall apart from time to time??? I already feel like I have no control over myself anyway ~ the brain tail has totally taken over and I am grappling with trying to maintain some kind of control. I can hear you now, screaming at the computer
"you are a freaking delusional lunatic!!!"

I know I am ~ and I'm working on it already ~ My point is, we all need hugs for survival, SURVIVAL ~ So ~ here's my challenge 2 u ~ hug someone today ~ anyone ~ and I will do the same, because you know, we are ALL struggling in some area of our lives ~ either physically, emotionally, spiritually.

Make sure to watch this video below ~ it's awesome!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lacie,
I just got finished reading your blog. I decided that unless I posted a note, I would feel like I was peeking into your life without you knowing it. Since I am not a stalker by nature, I'm sending you a HUGE HUG!!! We have to connect some time for lunch or something. If you are up to it, drop me a note. I miss your face!
Lisa Irvine
lirvine98@aol.com

C Wilson said...

Aww Lacie, I love that video!!! Through the whole thing I had a big grin on my face and by the end I was determined to hug everyone in town!!!

It's so true hugging makes you feel good and we need physical affection from others to be happy and fulfilled in life. Thank you so much for sharing.

The only thing that I ask is that people don't hug you like they are trying to crack every vertebra in your back! Oww that hurts.

Gentle (((((((((hugs))))))))) to you,

Caroline

Anonymous said...

Lacie,

Hi, Stopping by to let you know that I'm thinking of you!
Take care, Sherri

www.caringbridge.org/oh/kara