Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Armadillo

What do you do when an armadillo shows up in your dream? Random ~ I know ~ but not so random considering I am a Native Texan and I am the proud owner of an armadillo purse! Until I looked up some info on these prehistoric looking creatures I never knew there were so many types of them. I am pretty certain that I have only seen one species ~ the nine banded armadillo which happens to be the state small mammal of Texas.

I remember seeing a special about bizarre facts about animals and the armadillo was mentioned. This is absolutely fascinating ~
"Although breeding occurs in July, the embryo remains in a dormant state until
November. Four young are born in a burrow in March. All four young, always of
the same sex, are identical quadruplets and developed from the same egg. They even share a single placenta while in the womb. Armadillos are the only mammals
in which multiple young form from a single egg with any regularity. "
This post is random ~ I know ~ but I have a point. I looked up the meaning of the armadillo totem and it symbolizes boundaries, being grounded and self protection. I could use a good dose of being grounded and protected!

1 comment:

lzwitty said...

Ever since I read "A Prayer for Owen Meany," I've been partial to armadillos as a stuffed one is a prominent feature in the novel. If you're interested in reading a condensed edited version (that I prepared for my students) just let me know! (The actual novel contains some objectionable language/situations but the heart of the story itself is wonderful.)

Philippians 4:13 really helped me in my coming to terms with my surgeries--"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Remember, you're not alone in this.

Leslie