Monday, March 19, 2007

Follow the Big Yellow Dog

Friday afternoon, I left work a little early in anticipation of a long drive home through a snow storm. I have lived in Upstate New York for 7 years now, but I am still a little apprehensive about driving on snow and ice. I said a little prayer for God to protect me and get me home safely. I remember saying out loud as I pulled out of the shelter of the parking garage, "lead me home".

I had visions of a beacon burning bright ~ a shepherd leading his flock to water. The roads were slick and I was beginning to get a little nervous. I pulled up to a stoplight and made note of a school bus filled with children in front of me. I imagined then inside, with not a care in the world, and I was certain they felt completely safe. So, I figured, I'll go with the safety theme and stick close behind this bus. A wave of peace came over me & I wasn't fearful anymore. I followed the bus for several miles at a slow 10-23 mph. Sure, I could have passed them and gotten home a little sooner, but I stuck behind the bus until it turned. After an hour and 45 minutes of tense driving, I made it home safe and sound.

Who knew that God could use a school bus as a beacon through the storm. There are signs everywhere, I just need to slow down enough to see them.

No comments: