Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Everest

I admit it ~ I am an addict ~ I am addicted to all books regarding MOUNT EVEREST. I had just started reading a book my sister had lent to me ~ Three Cups of Tea ~ when the call came in from the library. My library let's you select a book on line and then when it comes in they call you to let you know that they have reserved the book just for you. Novel idea ~ I love it. Sometimes I will request a book and have to wait several months to receive it. So when I got the call that a long awaited book had arrived, I jumped in the car and sped over to the library to pick it up.

Seriously ~ who speeds over to the library ~ 'Sorry officer ~ I was on my way to the library and just ignored the speed limit signs. You see ~ I am jonesing for an Everest book ~ gotta read it right now!' ~ luckily I picked up the book and drove home without any embarrassing incidents. Mountain Madness: Scott Fischer, Mount Everest and a Life Lived on High, by Robert Birkby is a wonderfully entertaining book detailing Scott Fisher's life. He was such a breath of fresh air ~ so passionate about the outdoors and climbing and he always was eager to teach anyone who would listen. He wanted to share his love of the mountains with as many people as possible. Just from reading countless other Everest themed books I feel like I already know Scott ~ everyone who ever met him loved him and his zeal for life! Even though he died in one of Everest's greatest tragedies, reading about his life journey has brought him back to life.

Again ~ I try to figure out why I am I so addicted to reading personal accounts of Everest climbers? There's no one in my family that I know of who has even attempted to climb the tallest mountain in the world. Somehow, living vicariously through all of their adventures, I get a sense of peace from the climbers when they stand on top of the world. Some day ~

1 comment:

RiverPoet said...

I met Bear Grylls before he was a TV star. Nice guy! He wrote a book called "The Kid Who Climbed Everest," since he was the youngest person ever to climb Everest. I guess he still holds that record. As you can tell from his life now, he craves adventure.

Maybe you'll get there someday. If not, at least we have books, which can transport us to places we would otherwise know nothing about.

Peace - D