Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Run Free

'RUN FREE' has been a reoccurring theme for me over the course of at least 15 years. Visions of me running at breakneck speeds with childlike abandon have reappeared over and over. Wind in my face, hair swirling around in the wind, the taste of freedom and no worries. I run without tiring. I run without a destiny in mind. I feel energized and hopeful. What does all this mean? An image with such strength and passion must have been sent for some reason.

Anyone who knows me knows that I enjoy the outdoors and take great pride in keeping in shape so that I am ready to go on a hike at the drop of a hat. However, until a couple of years ago, running was not even in my vocabulary. In fact, when I was four, a doctor told me that due to hip surgeries, I would NEVER walk without a limp, much less run! Since that moment, I have made it my mission in life to prove that theory wrong.

When I began training for my first 3.5 mile race, I quickly discovered that I could run and gained a deep sense of accomplishment from reaching my goal. I'm no roadrunner on the road, but I motor along despite my height. My point, yes, I am trying to make one, bear with me ~ I have been known to ramble. Anyway, my point is that after all the literature I have read on Chiari and what can make my situation worse is running. (BTW - the Nike+ Running system has completely pushed me over the edge!) Maybe I have sped up the process by running ~ so where does this leave me today? I have run right into a paradox.

I often have episodes of extreme dizziness and loss of balance. What any sane person would do would be to find a soft, safe place to sit down and stay there. Me? What do I do? I la
ce up my running shoes and go for a run! I know, it sounds completely crazy, but somehow, running grounds me to the earth. I can feel my legs connect with the ground and I feel balanced. Maybe running takes my mind off the dizziness. Perhaps the release of endorphins restores balance. Either way, running restores my sanity.

Isaiah 40:31 "... but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

No comments: